Protecting my Intellectual Property

The ideas I have around Little Box of Horrors I haven't broadcasted too loudly. Obviously, I want to use technology like Bluetooth, it may use cards (but no dice), and it will have a mobile application. The reason being is that I partly don't know exactly how everything will be implemented, but for what I do, I keep them as my trade secrets. How the app will be implemented, what are on the cards, how the game pieces interact, what the Bluetooth and mobile app will do with the game are all things I'm keeping to myself.

Now, relying on my brain to keep all my business safe simply isn't enough. In class, we talked about trade secrets, but we also talked about copyrights, trademarks, and patents. A patent is beyond the scope of my business. There isn't any piece of technology that I'm inventing or constructing that is unique enough to be worth purchasing a patent for. A trademark will be useful to have at some point, but only in the far future when the company has expanded to where our brand is recognizable and important to our reputation.

Copyrights are going to be the main form of protecting my intellectual property. Why? A lot of tabletop/board games revolve around creative work. A game like this has to consider its art style, graphics, game pieces, the layout of the books, and (in my case) the code involving the use of Bluetooth and mobile applications. All of this can be covered by copyright and will be my go-to when looking to protect my work. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Visit from Matthew Tolentino

Three Possible Business Ideas

Visit from Brian Forth